When you start to make the jump from employment to being your own boss it can feel scary and a little overwhelming as you are surrounded by options and possibilities. The truth is that if you put your mind to it I am sure you could make a success out of any of them… so what you need to think carefully about is what will you enjoy doing? What will get you motivated and what can you see yourself doing for years to come.
This is no longer about being sat at an office desk between the hours of 9-5. This is about shaping your new future, one which excites you and one which you will never grow bored of.
With that in mind I thought I would take this opportunity to share some reasons why I believe starting a keepsake business is a great option for creative people.
It has a really solid business model, many markets and incredible possibilities. It is flexible and fluid which is essential if you have that creative mindset.
So here are 10 important reasons why you should seriously consider finding out more about starting a keepsake business:
1. Your customers are normally very lovely as they are often new Mums. They are incredibly happy to be have a professional come and capture their precious little baby’s hands and feet. It is a very special time for them and something you get to be a part of.
2. You get paid to spend your time creating, i.e. doing the thing you love each and every day. No boring office job here. If you offer all keepsake ranges then the days remain varied and exciting and you will continue to learn each and every day.
3. As a Keepsake Business you will have three peak buying times a year where you could make enough money to last you the rest of the year if you chose that as a business model however babies are born every day throughout the year so your keepsakes will sell all year round.
4. You can work from home or be mobile. Or open up your own store. You get to design the business which is right for you.
5. It is recession proof as no matter how tight money is people will always want to capture a keepsake from their little one before they grow much bigger. There are some things in life which people will always find the money for.
6. It is flexible. You can build the business around your family commitments. You are always in control of your time and schedule and book appointments accordingly.
7. It is scalable. You can make your business as big or small as you decide. There are numerous markets which you can chose from you or you can enter them all.
8. It is profitable. Some keepsakes cost as little as £3 to make with a selling price of £45-£65. People are paying for your skill, expertise and of course your tie.
9. You can take your creative business in any direction by adding in wholesale stock or other creative products you are inspired to make. It really is YOUR business and will grow with you as you progress.
10. Creativity feeds the soul so in other businesses it is easy to burn out but when creating you find that time in the day to quieten your busy mind. It can become therapy as well as very profitable.
Here is what one of our current clients said recently:
I just wanted to drop you a line to say how pleased I am that I made the decision to join the Keepsake Association. As I think I have previously mentioned I first became aware of your company many years ago and would often read your update emails with interest but the time was never right to commit.
These past few months have been incredibly stressful at work as we go through yet another restructure. Sadly, a career in central and local government means I should be used to regular changes and upheaval but this restructure has been brutal. I truly believed I was going to be made redundant and this coincided with yet another of your updates and this time I thought enough is enough and decided to join!
Ever since I first made contact I have felt part of the Keepsake family and can’t thank you enough for the support and help you have given me as I set off on this new venture. I know that I can always contact you or any of the other lovely ladies for help and to ask whatever questions I need to ask.
Typically, having made the decision to start my business I amazingly have not been made redundant and, in fact, have a promotion to a more senior role. I’ve had to rethink my plans for the business and will have to take things slower than I expected but that’s the beauty of the Keepsake Association as it is my business to manage as I see fit knowing the support and help is always there. I still plan to go live in the next few weeks assuming I can master Facebook and Wordpress as I’ve avoided social media up until now! I now know that when the next restructure comes, and it will, I can take it in my stride knowing that I will have my keepsake business and the Keepsake Association behind me. Julie“
Having run a Creative Business for 16 years, and supporting people to start their own for over ten of those, Victoria Casebourne talks about starting up your own business.
The Keepsake Co asked their members what their number one tip would be for those thinking of starting their own business.
With an average of 3 new business start-ups each month The Keepsake Co offer amazing support, from the very beginning, and will be there to help you grow and expand your business further down the line.
Read below for a fantastic testimonial from a Keepsake Co franchisee
I have found The Keepsake Association fundamental in setting up my own business. The structure is invaluable, guiding you through the process and making sure you don’t overlook any important aspects, but giving you the freedom to manage things in your own way, at your own pace and with your own creativity and ideas! Victoria and the team are extremely passionate and dedicated.Lois, The Wishing Jar
I have found amazing support and advice through the Keepsake Company. Everyone is very accessible, from head office to the members who I have regular contact with through our members only Facebook group. The support is amazing in all the different areas training and mentoring – of social media, training on products, new projects, growing your business and the excellent Mastermind calls we have.Laura, Two Green Lane
Victoria is such a brilliant tutor. She takes things at your pace, is full of encouragement and really makes you feel as though you can do anything! I came away from my first session with her and knew that this was going to be an exciting adventure. I worked from home for a couple of years before opening my shop just under 4 years ago.Ceri. Lollipops & Ladybirds
No franchise fees, sales royalties or territory restrictions
A range of flexible low-cost start-up options
Build a business owned by you with no on-going fees